Ornamental grasses

VerdunVerdun Posts: 23,348
Just as the late perennials are disappearing my miscanthus grasses are coming into their own. They will usually hold their flowers through the winter to make an impact. They come in a variety of foliage colours and variegation plus autumn tints but they dont seem to be widely grown and I wonder why. I have a pineapple sage with tall red flowers, 5' high, next to a white/green miscanthus in full flower as good as anything growing in the summer. Comvicing anyone?

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,255

You're convincing me. Things are looking good out there

• Caz WCaz W Posts: 1,353

There is a very wet area - heavy clay bog - of the garden and about the only thing that has flourished there is Acorus Ogon which is looking really lovely and bright at the moment.  Started off with one plant which I immediately divided and now have plenty!

• Caz WCaz W Posts: 1,353

Thanks Verdun, it would be nice to have something that has a different autumn colour.  I usually find plenty of self seeded primulas around the garden so could move some of those there as well.

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 2,935

Pineapplesage is Monty's plant of the week, in his regular rag feature. Monty refers to it as a risky plant as it isn't very hardy and can be blacken by frost. It's best grown under protection and coming from Central America needs summer heat in July and August to produce flowers. Here in the NW,  July and August were a wash out with very little sun.

Sounds like your's is planted out in the garden, has it not suffered from the poor weather we've had this year and how are you over wintering it...