Are these damsons or sloes please?

Hello peeps - does anyone know if these are damsons or sloes? I picked them in a field and fancied having a go at making flavoured gin. They have a pale green flesh and a dark blue skin and taste like a sour plum. Thanks

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,088

sloes are more than sour, they're so tart they're inedible

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,199

Those are Damsons, or possibly a wild plum/Bullace. Certainly not a sloe. Usable in alcohol either way.

• granmagranma Posts: 1,835

What size are they ? Slows are normal marble size and I've only ever seen them grown on a Bush.

Damsons grow on a tree and are usually bigger round fruits size of a walnut  and makes beautiful jam .

You can use both in recipes for liqueurs ie sloe gin and damson gin

I have read that.  sloes are better left till after a frost   when I used them for slow gin liqueur I was short  of gin  so I pricked them and put them in the freezer.

• granmagranma Posts: 1,835

THERE IS ANOTHER BUSH OUT THERE IN THE WILD YOU MUST MAKE SURE IT IS NOT THIS.  

ONE BUSH HAS THORNS THE OTHER DOESN T.     THE LEAVES ARE VERY SIMILAR ,AS IS THE FRUIT.

IT   IS POISONOUS. CAN'T REMEMBER EXACTLY WHAT ITS CALLED BUT SOMEONE ELSE MIGHT KNOW.  ( it could be buckthorn-but I'm not sure ).

• I seem to be replying to two different threads with the same lead but as I replied to the other one these are sloes and perfectly good for great sloe gin and wines etc. I think you  might be thinking of the thorns re caution as this is the blackthorn tree/bush and the thorns are poisonous if you get one in your skin.

• TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

Hi, yes I don't know how two threads appeared as I only posted it once. Thanks for the replies. Eeeeek, the tree I picked these from didn't have thorns. Does that mean they are not from a blackthorn? Do blackthorns produce fruit then and is the fruit poisonous or just the thorns?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,606

Not sure what fruit Cangrandmafixit is thinking of - but the fruit in the photos in this thread is not poisonous.    As I've said, it looks to me like wild damson.

Sloes grow on blackthorn bushes, the thorns can cause nasty puncture wounds which can turn septic - Pa used to suffer when hedging on the farm. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hi, the fruit you have is as I said the wild damson and great for using as are the fruit of the blackthorn ; the sloe. only the thorns to be careful of. Obviously as the tree you picked from had no thorns this confirms you have damsons image Good wine/gin/pudding making.

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    Sloe/blackthorn bushes grow into trees. Not sure what Cangrandmafixit is talking about. Bullace, damson and sloes are all edible.

Sloe and apple jelly is delicious with roast lamb.

Hard to tell from a photo, these are some damsons from my tree.