Forum home Tools and techniques

Advice on best type mower sought

HI after getting fed up with my hover mower, I am looking for something more suitable.

I have a medium sized lawn with a few sloping areas. I am looking at spending around £100 but it must pick up ALL the grass unlike my present one. 

Any help would be appreciated. B-) 

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

Hi Tracy - I have just bought direct from Mountfield (delivered yesterday) an electric mower having previously had a Mountfield for 20 years.  I tested it yesterday and it seems good as you can either have the grass box attached or set it to mulch.  It cost £129,00 but they have got smaller cheaper ones.  Mine has a 14 inch cutting width and my garden slopes slightly and the size of the lawn is approx 30 feet by 40 feet.   So far I am happy with it but only used yesterday -  time will tell.   I am giving my old Mountfield away on freecycle as it still works but the grass box won't attach anymore and I'm not handy enough to mend it. 

• Oh Thanks. What model is that as can prob stretch to that?,
  • NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,597

Just to lghten the mood......borrow a goat for a day and move the tether around the grass

Everyone is just trying to be Happy.
  • Did think of that!,
  • I'd go for a Honda izzy there abit more than ??100 but they are amazing sine I've brought mine at the start of the year my lawns never looked so good
  • Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

Tracey - it's a Princes 38.  Look on the Mountfield web site.  It was delivered free of charge on a next day delivery.  I had to put it together myself, well, just the handle and the grass box, but another handy helper would have been useful as I had to hit the grass box really hard to get the sections to 'click' together.  I think most things come 'flat packed' nowadays.

• Sadly bit out my price bracket
  • It might be worth weighting until next year for a mower or until the sales are on
  • CoysCoys Posts: 85

Bought the bosch rotak 34 this year, great little mower 

• BizzieBBizzieB Posts: 885

It's worth looking at B&Q's range of lawnmowers. I bought one  from them a few years ago, lightweight, long flex, good price and helpful advice.