Forum home Wildlife gardening

Random question but why....

Hello - does anyone know why bats fly around in circles please? I'm just in the lounge and they are doing invisible circuits by the window!

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

They catch insects in flight Tootles, they're probably in an area with lots of insects and will go round till they've eaten them all. If you've got your light on and the curtains pulled back insects are probably attracted to the light.

• they are looking for that window you forgot to shut.image

• TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

So they are greedy and nosey!! Cute! Thanks for the replies nut n flower.

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    They have a beat which they will usually remain in. There is probably a different bat on the other side of the house.

Love them, even when they find their way in and they fly round the room when I'm watching TV; or in bed; or having a meal.
  • Prey insects are often attracted by light. Humans by leaving their interior lights on during the hours of darkness means insects, in particular moths, congregate near the light source. Thus our unintentioned assistance provides a ready made takeaway for bats.

• I've just got in from watching bats fly in and out of the trees above the River Frome.  Loads of them.  I'm so tempted to get a bat box so I can hear them but I know I'd be out there for hours instead of getting on with a myriad things I need to do. Some time ago I stood on the river bank with a neighbour who had a bat box and it was entrancing                                                          

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,626

They like to switch our garden PIR lights on and off all night. They have worked out that the moths will come to the light, then they swoop round and round and sweep them up.

One came into the living/kitchen one night having found an open window and attracted by the light of a laptop. Couldn't find its way out again until we turned the thing off. Must have been emitting some sort of high pitched squeal like another bat.

Quite amazing to watch it navigate its way past chair legs, table legs, human legs (some making desperate vertical movements) and animal legs (surprised ones).image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

People used to be scared of bats.  I'm so pleased that they seem to be getting more popular image

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

I love bats. Pipistrelles have a nursery roost in our roof most years. 

• They fly in circles to:

gain height

get their bearings

or to stay within a light source as they catch the insects attracted to it

So take your pickimage

We had a pipistrelle bat in the bedroom last month.  It was very sweet.