Forum home Problem solving

decorative slate chippings

This isn't strictly a gardening question, but we have lots of pots and containers in my garden - largely because we can't dig large holes before coming up against bricks and other objects.    We have clematis and other climbers - also bulbs, perennials and small shrubs in containers.  Chippings conserve moisture, deter slugs, mice and squirrels and look decorative.

I want to find a smallish - 5 - 10kg - quantity of plum or purple slate chippings - to top up these containers, but have trawled through the web, and can only find 25 kg bags. Don't think we could begin to lift one of these, and if we had help to get it into our car, we'd have to lift it out again when we got home!

Any ideas would be very gratefully received. Thank you.

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

25 k isn't that heavy. But you could take a couple of buckets with you (and a pair of scissors) when you go to buy and decant some of the slate into those.image

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    A wheelbarrow or sack barrow or trolley is your friend.
  • Hi gardenbear,

I know B&Q do bags of the slate chippings although I am not sure of the sizes and prices. Other than that, try a builders merchant such as Jewsons or Travis Perkins as a lot of them sell to general public now. I know Jewsons do things called 'handybags' in their line of chippings and slates which are easier to handle, and a lot of the guys will load them into your car for you, so you only have to lift them out when you get home image Hopefully you have somewhere similar near you.

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    Handy bags are usually a metre square bag. I would have that delivered by the builders merchants, but I wouldn't put it in a car, it probably weighs a tonne.
  • Pity its plum or purple slate chippings you are after and that you are in the south, I am in the process of getting rid of literally tons of the stuff from the garden in our new house.

The idea about taking some buckets to make the size an weight more manageable is a good idea, or as above also ask someone where you buy it from to load it into your car, once home you can open it and remove it bit by bit.

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,009

If there are two of you, you should be able to manage it. I can manhandle one myself as long as someone lifts it into the car for me. Or just decant it into some pails.

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,154

Buy it, trolley it to the car, dig out as much as you need and leave the bag in the car park with a note on it offering it for someone else to take for free.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,672

A 25kg bag of slate won't go very far, so I'd try and split it into two or three bags/buckets as the others have suggested so that you can transport it easily on your own  image

As Welshonion says - a handy bag is anything but -  a  bulk bag is the usual name for them, and requires delivery on a lorry!  

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Just checked with the local Jewsons and a handybag contains 25kg of slate chippings. Sorry didn't get a price, but you can always haggle a bit with them I have found anyway. Hope this helpsimage

• Try a local independant builders merchant ,if you have one nearby  I found just what you are looking for in my nearest. I live in N wilts but would think they are avaiable elsewhere.