Forum home Wildlife gardening

Slugs and their nemesis

Spot the species.  There are four here, and the toad didn't seem interested in any of them.  I wonder which of them the eggs belong to?

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 3,169

Oh my!image That's worse than the time I looked under my waterbutt stand.

I like the toad best, by a long shotimage

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,934

He looks quite tubby - I wonder how many slugs there were to start with image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

I was wondering that.

To return to the original question, does anyone know what species they are and which, if any, are the useful carnivorous ones?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,934

http://www.slugwatch.co.uk/?page_id=21

In my experience the field slug and the keeled slug are the ones that do the damage

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• not too good with slugs, but I think the large ones are an Arion species.  Looks like you've quite a population!

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

These were under a piece of hardboard near the compost heap, so possibly a favoured environment!

• BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

Big horrid looking slugs eat little damaging slugs, so having a good mixture of types is a good thing.  The little keel ones are the monsters as far as your garden is concerned, they eat roots, stems, leaves and any other parts of plants that they can reach - and they can reach them all!