Pruning overgrown honeysuckle

My OH has a self-sown but wanted honeysuckle growing (well, existing) in her garden.  It's never been pruned and is in the shade of an oak tree and a laurel hedge.  It's mostly (as you can see from the photos) old brown stems and has had just a few leaves and  flowers this year.

How and when should it be cut back to rejuvenate it?

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,754

(Personally I'd cut it back to the ground, dig out the laurel and grow shade-tolerant/loving plants in that corner)

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 6,144

In my experience Honeysuckle can take a really radical haircut. I do mine in Spring, using absolutely no finesse at all, just hacking huge amounts of stuff off. It always seem to come back strong.

If you want me You can find me
    Left of center Off of the strip
    In the outskirts In the fringes In the corner
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 49,294

I agree with Steve and Punkdoc image

“I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.” ~Charles Dickens

• BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

Hear Hear!

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,086

Just reviving this thread cos I pruned my overgrown honeysuckle back this morning. There was a lot of dead wood as its been left to do pretty much as it pleases. Its also taken root away from the main plant even though I've never actively layered it. Is it ok to do this in September...I was clearing space to plant baby aquilegias image

• I have recently found that an untended honeysuckle can be a real thug. Best to treat it mean from the very start.