Allotment

Due to start weeding my allotment over next couple of days, however the soil is really dry and crumbly due is there anyway to soften it up maybe put some manure in and mix it together.

What are peoples thoughts?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 49,294

I'd weed thoroughly first, digging over at the same time to get roots out, before digging any manure in.

“I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.” ~Charles Dickens

• Ok so totally weed then dig over with a load of manure, thanks

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,754

Absolutely.  Then just spread the muck on top, cover it with weighted-down cardboard over the winter and wait for the worms to take the muck down.

Are you planning to get anything going now to grow over the winter?

That was absolutely to Dove's comment.  image

• @steve309 don't think i will get anything in until the new year, simply because I tool the plot on and had 4 foot of weeds so had to cut down and then spread with killer. 

I plan on getting the weeds out by next week so i can start digging it over and then cover with manure and go from there.

Sounds good to me.  If you fancy getting one bit clear and getting something in, I'd recommend Aquadulce broad beans.  Sow between now and early October and they'll give you a crop in late April (if you're lucky) or May, before anything else is ready.  As long as the weedkiller wasn't a persistent one you should be OK.

• You could also get some winter onions and garlic planted in October

And spring greens/cabbage