Forum home Tools and techniques

Composting

Hey, I started a small container with greens to go in so i can take to the allotment, however the food has started to go moldy, will that be a problem. I think it is ok, but want to check. If you can let me know that will be great. Also can you put cooked pasta and rice in there are some sites say yes others no

• You can compost the greens but not the pasta or rice. All that will happen if you add the latter is you will attract rats. You can compost cooked food in a hot composter.

• ok thought as much, the food going moldy is fine then

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,759

Turn it about with a fork and make sure its not compacted. you could put some paper or cardboard in with it.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Ok thanks will add some paper it's only to fill then can take to the allotment
  • ok thought as much, the food going moldy is fine then

Is it kept outside or in a compost bin in the kitchen. I have not had any go mouldy. Maybe its just the breaking down process.

• It's in the kitchen, no holes in container tho would that b the reason should I start again

Maybe that would be best. I have never used one of those kitchen composters, just had a feeling that may have been it.

It shouldnt be mouldy, I have mine outdoors,  in a wooden bin with a blanket over, I stir it up every 2 weeks, is that possible for you.

For smallish amounts, could you use a plastic bin, like the green recycling bins, you could leave the lid off and put something loose over, even a couple of layers of corregated cardboard weighted down with a stone.they work best with air getting to the waste.

A little sprinkling of garden soil helps as it has bacteria to speed up the rotting, if you live in the country you could find a shovel full of horse muck, that will keep it going till you can transfer it to your lottie heap. 

Never put anything cooked in there or you will attract rats.

• i have not put any cooked food in there, so far its got apple cores, potato and carrot peelings thats it. It is a kitchen caddy no air is getting in there. Should I put some holes in the top?

So should i clean it out and start again. I plan on filling it up and then taking it to the allotment to go in my compost bin. 

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

If it's kept in the kitchen, keep it small or it'll get smelly.  i use an old margarine tub, supermarket meat tray etc.  Then empty it into the compost bin outside - the council supplies one of about 3 litres - which does get smelly and mouldy if I leave it for too long.  I then take that to the allotment when I go.  On the heap, mix it up with other stuff.