Forum home Garden design

Front lawn ideas

Hi,

Could anyone give me some inspiration on what do to with our front garden? Ideally we'd want something along the left (1) and front (2) - 1. To stop our neighbour parking to close and walking across our lawn when they get out their car and 2. To stop the kids on the other side using our lawn as a shortcut to their driveway!)

I'm not a gardener by any stretch of the imagination but was thinking maybe sleepers and some low height bushes??

Many thanks!!

marbeck

• Marbeck, I'd dig out a border, about a foot wide, and plant a variety of low growing shrubs. Often people take short cuts when there is no barrier in place, even a low barrier of shrubs gives the trespasser fewer options. The shrubs needn't be thorny or large, a low set of shrubs makes a psychological difference when viewed by the human eye.

Buying now at your local Garden Centre or DIY stores shouldn't be expensive. When choosing look for shrubs that get to 2 -3ft tall with the same spread. Even just planting the very front of the lawn will have an effect. It's a natural instinct to avoid a barrier however small so it probably won't cost the earth either as there are plenty of bargains to be had at this time of year.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,570

Mahonia, berberis, pyracantha - should sort the men from the boysimage

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 17,982

Berberis is good and pretty pinky red colour. I have it round the oil tank, pricked finger for anyone that touches it.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• What about a copper beech hedge up the side on the driveway on the left, I think even if you put low shrubs in they will still cut across it! What about perhaps lavender along the front of the garden and some low growing perennials 

• Thanks for the advice everyone, appreciate it.

• Having a terraced border with a 2 foot drop doesn't stop leaflet droppers and other people walking across my front garden. I'd make it as difficult as possible for anyone to step over it

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,019

You may want to have a look at the missives for your house. Some new build estates have a ban on planting hedges etc out the front - want it all to be flat grassed areas.

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

Rosa rugosa is thorny, fairly quick-growing, has nice flowers and spectacular hips in autumn.  Mahonia is also prickly - at least the one we had in our garden when I were a lad was,  So much so that when we eventually cut it down many years later there was quite a stock of tennis and cricket balls underneath.

• @Hogweed - We're probably the only ones who have a 'plain' lawn, but will check it out. image