Forum home Wildlife gardening

Robin Bathing

I watched from the kitchen today as a Robin bathed in the margins of the pond. I've put a couple of those large,old fashioned floor tiles near the edge,staggered and slightly sloping so one end is about level with the water surface while the other is about 10mm or so under.

He was flicking his wings,jumping back to the shallow part and then back. Seeing him there makes having a pond all worthwhile. Magical image

• Beaus MumBeaus Mum Posts: 3,541

Oh I love the robins, they are my fave garden birds image So cute and very cheeky image

• There is something very special when a creature chooses your garden to visit, i love watching the birds bathe too image
  • BizzieBBizzieB Posts: 885

How right  you are bekkie makes you feel you are getting something right image 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,456

Fishy - does your heart good doesn't it? image

The lovely thing is, when you have some flat stones or slates just above the water, you also get insects like bees and wasps sitting there 'sunbathing'. Butterflies have spent lots of time sitting on a hot rock or two here this summer.image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,934

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,267

Lol - lots of smiling faces image  Its like your pond has been approved and just after he'd finished bathing I could hear him singing away. Its really very special isn't it.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,461

Thats wonderful Fishy, I had another dragonfly yesterday, he had a big green head and blue body, How/where  do they lays eggs, under water or on the stones?

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Somewhere I have a photograph of a damselfly egg laying on a plant stem standing out of the pond.  I don't have a pond unfortunately but I spend time at a large pond in a friend's garden which has a large variety of dragon and damselflies visiting.  I have lots of photographs of Frampton fauna. I 've attached

one of my favourites

• Just wonderful, we have currently a juvenile Robin visiting our garden along with many other birds but I disturbed him when I went to close our back door and he had been bathing in what we laughingly call our water feature. This is an old under desk waste bin filled with rain water with two water plants in it. He then proceeded to 'dry' out on the companion bench, unfortunately do not have a photograph of this. 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,456

Yes - as DorsetUK says - they lay on plant stems and then the nymphs live in the depths till it's time to go up a stem and become dragon/damselflies image

Jackie - they're funny aren't they? At my last house we had a youngster visiting for his food and he waited patiently on a bit of clematis till some was spilled on the ground. He also liked a bath - usually in the lid of a bucket of blood, fish and bone tucked in a corner.

Even though he had this twenty feet away....imageimage

http://i1331.photobucket.com/albums/w595/fairygirl55/PA170791_zps0c74dc6d.jpg

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....