What am I?

Hello everyone, I would appreciate it if someone could identify the fungi growing out of the bark at the base of a rather grand, old and beautiful Chestnut tree that grows in my garden. Its sprung up rapidly over the last couple of days. I know nothing about fungus (other than the fact that various different varieties grow in different places around my garden each autumn), but I know that honey fungus is not good news. Is this honey fungus?

Pics below of the fungus, one I think is a little blurry but hopefully you can id from these (if the pics work, having lots of trouble today).

Thanks in advance

Heather 

Fingers crossed these work and you're not looking at a little blue box with a question mark in it!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 44,433

I can see the pics ok; I'm afraid that's the good news image

In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt ... Margaret Atwood
  • Oh I don't like the sound of that Dove. Is it Honey Fungus?

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 24,408

I fear that's HF. But any fungus growing out of a live tree is not good news in the long term

• Dammit! I just had this awful sinking feeling when I saw it. OK thanks to both of you, I will be mentioning it to the landlady when I see her, and muse over the possibility of a beautiful, grand, 40 odd foot tall Chestnut tree (which perversely this year is absolutely bursting with Chestnuts) having to come down in the not too distant future. Not a happy bunny image

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener LeicsPosts: 6,569
    nutcutlet wrote (see)

I fear that's HF. But any fungus growing out of a live tree is not good news in the long term

My thoughts exactly, nut.  Sorry it's such bad news Heather. image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Will do Edd. Will post tomorrow along with the pics of my oak leaves! Thank you again, you are very knowledgeable. I am learning but I have a long way to go. 

• Thanks Bob, am feeling a little down about it right now image

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICTPosts: 11,018

The swansong fruiting abundance is a bad sign, I think. But the main problem with honey fungus is that it spreads by underground wiry "roots" and many other plants are susceptible to it too. The food news is that, cooked, it is an Italian delicacyimage

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 24,408

I'll have to watch out for the fruiting bodies on mine. If I don't pick them off they collapse in a black mess all over the cyclamen

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICTPosts: 11,018

Mycelium is not your celium Edd. You can have the honey fungus mycelium and I'll stick with the other stuffimage

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.