Am I a saddo?

We are always looking for the next big move and are going to view a house this week. 

Without even seeing it yet so don't even know if it will be the one I am getting emotional about what plants I can take! Think I'm just tired image

When we do move I know I can take all my garden furniture and pots 

Could I take my garden arch? And wrought iron border edges?

how many plants do you think I could realistically take out of the borders without having to mention to new owners I want them!

sorry this could be months away or even couple of years but playing on my mind and only you lovely gardeners will know how I feel image

• LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,030

I depends on the reason for moving.  Do you have to?  If you fall in love with the house (and it may have a lovely garden already) you can always arrange to take your arch and border edges.  You have to let buyers know what you intend. On the other hand your buyers may have been swayed by your lovely garden as it is.  Dilemasimage.  

You can pre-plan by taking cuttings of your favourites and saving seeds from others. They will have a head start when and if the move takes place.  Don't get stressed yet. Plenty of time to make decisionsimage

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,050

You can take anything out of the garden as long as  the buyers know what is or isn't included in the sale before they sign the contract.

• Beaus MumBeaus Mum Posts: 3,386

Thank you Lesley and you're right plenty of time to sort and don't even know if it's the house yet imageI'm just being a narna image No we don't have to move but wish for bigger more private garden etc image

• When the time is right and you fall in love with a place/ garden, it wont matter so much about the plants image

PS, if u sell in the winter no one will know whats goneimage
  • Wouldnt it be lovely not to have to think where the heck am i gonna squeeze this lot in when you come home with a ton of stuff from the GC???? Think about it, you know im right!image
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 42,810

Look at it as the next big gardening adventure image

Gardening is cheaper than therapy, and you get tomatoes. 

Oh I knew you would all cheer me up and make me see sense image Thank you 

Love you lots like jelly tots image

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 11,104

I know that when my next door neighbour dies, the wood will be sold,we will lose all the wildlife, and about 50 houses put on it as it is designated building land. At that point I will sell up as well and look for a new place. My neighbour was born in 1919.....

I know I should be taking cuttings etc, but there comes a point at which I think, where on earth am I going to put it all? I moved into this place with a huge pantechnicon load of stuff. I will need at least 2 , one just for garden stuff.

It's not a mess, it's a nature reserve.

Oh fidget you'll have to buy next door! image

Going to view the house tomorrow, I bet after all this I don't like it! image

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,478

Start saving now Fidgetbones so you can buy the wood and stop the housing development.image

• I know that feeling Beaus Mum. I moved last Winter although I wanted to go, was really upset about  leaving the garden, there were tears. I move around a lot but what I have learnt is that once you've  made a garden you can do that anywhere. Your knowledge goes with you.

That didn't stop me digging up  a lot of plants and chucking them in pots and bags mind you. Amazingly most pulled through.

Sad news about the wood Fidget

That will be me too Hollie, digging up lots big time image I really liked Bekkies suggestion best and might start putting labels in where my faves are image So I know where to dig image

Think we should start a fidget wood fund if the time comes or a protest not to cut down the woods image

• I moved last November so most of my favourites were still above ground fortunately.

I live in the real world but I do get sad when I hear of the loss of habitat, without nature as humans we are nothing.

You'll have to buy next door..... OH already did. We bought the house on the other side to save the oak trees, (and double the size of the garden.image)

Unfortunately 5 acres of prime building land, with access roads already in position, will go for millions, and to hell for the wildlife in their little oasis. It would be nice if someone would want it for the large house, and keep the wild wood. Realistically it will never happen.image

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,478

Oh Fidget - so sickening that nothing can be done and once it's gone it's gone forever. 

• Good for you fidget, at least those oak trees are safe. Does you neighbour own the land? Or has he got protected rights?

I'm in a different position to you I live within 40 acres of private land and the land owner is very big on conservation and wildlife

• 1Runnybeak11Runnybeak1 Posts: 7,018

Oh BM, I know exactly how you feel. I really do. 3 years ago I left a house and garden and allotment that I had put hours and hours of hard work and money into. At the time it broke my heart to leave.  The trees and shrubs were to  big ( and the wrong time of year) to dig up and take with me.  But, look at this way. It's a new adventure. A new start. A blank canvas. Exciting stuff.  It may take a while to get over leaving your garden, but you will, I promise.  Anyway BM you may not like the house you are going to view image So it could be a while yet. image

The neighbour  owns the land, and is on board with wildlife. He had a dead beech trunk  left so the woodpeckers had a home. His only child lives in London, though, so I guess money will come first.