Hawkmoth

My neighbour just came across with some 'critter' on his trowel, the second one he's seen this week. I had no idea what it was but, boy, was it big?!

Turned out, after googling, to be an Elephant Hawkmoth pupa/caterpillar thing...... he threw it in the bin, I think.  image

• Rescue it from the bin!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 45,161

I agree!  Rescue it!

If you stop taking chances, you'll stay where you sit. You won't live any longer, but it'll feel like it.” 
  • philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 6,276

Certainly rescue it.......and the first one too, if possible, which presumably went the same wayimage

• Your neighbour needs to think a bit more!

• Panic over.... I did rescue it and it is now in my garden, he was quite bemused by it all, the neighbour not the caterpillar, his wife had just emptied potato peelings on it but they both said it's still crawling around!

Apparently they love fuschias  and my neighbour has loads of them in hanging baskets, yes philippa smith2 I think it probably did.

At least one of them has a chance now. image

Good for you Summerwine...........enjoy your own personal caterpillarimageimage (and hopefully your neighbour now knows to hand them over to you next time.)

• Yes, Joe _the_Gardener  I agree but they can't stand anything out of the ordinary on their property so I guessed its fate. It takes all sorts......

Philippa I asked him to let me know if he finds anymore..... I can sleep tonight now.

imageimage

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 45,161

If you stop taking chances, you'll stay where you sit. You won't live any longer, but it'll feel like it.” 
  • image image .... is that all mine? Yum!! image