Forum home Plants

osterospermum

Hi everyone, I've been growing Osterospermums for the first time and they're doing very wellimage. What do I do in the autumn, do I cut them back, do it in spring or leave them alone? I don't want them to get leggyimage.Any help greatfully received.

Thanks Carol

• I don't know what they are called but they look like the " common" ones you see everywhere with pink flowers.

Thanks for the tip about cuttings, I'll certainly give that a try. I've got a cloche type small greenhouse in the sun so that could work, I've taken some cuttings from pinks and that's worked for them.

We live in Devon so the parents should be ok outside.

Thanks so muchimage

• I would give them a bit of a haircut when they've finished flowering to keep them bushy.
  • Thanks everybody, that's me sorted I hopeimage

• I just chop all the dead flower stalks and leaves back about October and they come again next year.  Mine are hardy perenniels though.   I noticed this year that Tesco and Homebase were selling annual ones.   I didn't even know they came as tender annuals.

• ElusiveElusive Posts: 992

I took 6 cuttings of my annual Osteospermums exactly 3 weeks ago today, every single one has rooted well and I potted them on into 9cm pots this morning.

First time I've ever rooted cuttings so I'm pretty impressed image

Free plants for next year image

• ElusiveElusive Posts: 992

Yea its great image

Is it worth pinching out the tips for them to bush out now?