Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

autumn colour

• happymarionhappymarion Posts: 4,591

The value of grey plants is very high in the autmn.  T

his is Convolvulus cneorum.

Heucheras give lots of colour,  This is a caramel coloured one .

And of course catkins add interest.  This is the length of my Garrya elliptica catkins on 07.12.12.

They will get much, much, longer by the end of the winter.

• Caz WCaz W Posts: 1,353

Hi Happy Marion - lovely pics as always.  Was particularly pleased to see your jasmine nudiflorum which I have growing in my front garden.  It was given to me many years ago as a small cutting and I never knew what it was called, so thanks for thatimage

You are welcome, Nadolig, did you notice it is featured on the home page at the bottom?  click n the picture and you will read all about it.

• Caz WCaz W Posts: 1,353

Thanks again - I've just had a read of that.  Was quite proud when I saw "Skill Level: Experienced" image seeing as I planted it and just left it to its own devices with a quick trim when branches seems too long.  When do you prune yours Marion - is there a right time?

I prune mine after the flowers have finished as it sprawls all over the path - deliberately  I must say as mine is definitely a naturalistic garden.  If you grow it as a climber you need to tie the long pieces in as it does not have tendrils.

Outshining even the Jasminum Nudiflorum in my front garden this morning , 16.12.12, was the golden privet.

I have just stuck a large bundle of bright red cornus wands into my white heather at the front gate  I shall photograph it on Dec. 21st and say goodbye to autumn colour as  it is now time to start a new thread for winter.  Looking forward to that and what emerges from your posts.  Willow and acers give you brightly coloured wands too for indoor and outdoor decorations for the festive season to complement the holly and the ivy and the mistletoe which has loved this wet year.