Forum home Garden design

Selling a Yew Hedge

Wonder if anyone can help.  My mother has a yew hedge in her garden of 45 yew trees, about 2m high, 11 years old.  She would like to get rid of it and has been told that it could be worth a lot of money.

Is this so, and if so, how would she best go about selling it? We're based in Manchester.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,144

Things are only "worth" what someone thinks they are worth. You could try ebay, but I think you might have more luck with freegle.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • the value I imagine will be significantly lowered when someone's gotta dig up and transport 45 yew trees!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 68,114

I think that a mature yew hedge can add considerably to the value of a property when it's in situ.  Not sure that it's worth a lot if it's dug up. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

After 11 years all the roots will be tangled up together and I wouldn't want the job of moving them and keeping them alive. Yews make large roots very quickly and the chances of damaging them are high

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,144

Now that is what I call lateral thinking. Excellent idea Edd. Ella's mum would still have the hedge but a big glow of pride to go with it.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.