Forum home Talkback

Talkback: Carrot crisis

• I have grown carrots in a large pot and in a raised bed this year and both have ended up curling up. It has also happened with my parsinps as well. Has anybody out there any ideas why this has happened.
  • Icky!!! I did find a large amount in a plastic bag at the back of the greenhouse the other day. Needless to say, neck tied and in the bin! Perhaps a few bag lined pots selectively placed around the garden would help solve a disposal problem??
  • I live beds/herts border I have had an allotment for 1 year here is a 'beginners luck' progress
    report: non-stop battle with slugs/snails in spite of throwing everything at them!

greens/carrots/parsnips bit of a disaster amazing results with beans/peas/courgettes/early potatoes/sunflowers/herbs/salads/onions
    very pleased, look forward to 2008
    interested to hear from other 1 year plotholders

• Margaret Senior: I only got my allotment in April, so I was far behind everyone else. My allotment was like an overgrown jungle of brambles, couch grass and mares tail and nettles. I had tomato blight inside a very large plastic greenhouse which wiped out my indoor toms and I also had it outside which wiped out my outdoor toms. All my onions ended up as very small (looked like pickling) onions. I had great parsnips, good potatoes, poor carrots, swede, turnips and beetroot also poor broccoli, not bad cabbages and small red cabbages. Excellent runner beans, very poor french beans and peas. not very good courgettes, aubergines and melons (I only had 1 melon) and bad crop of cucumbers. I noticed that at the end of the season all my veg wanted to start growing and the courgettes etc. put on loads of female flowers just to be struck down by the frost. I dont know when my plot was last worked so the ground wasnt manured before I took over. I look forward to next year with better successes I HOPE. Fingers crossed.
  • jan2008 plastic glove and a plastic bag does the trick in the black bin bag underneath other rubbish (have you got a solution for backache from bending to colect slugs?)
  • hi, can anyone recommend a short but flavoursum carrot variety to grow as the traditional longer varieties dont seem to appreciate all my hard work!
  • At my wits end with what seems like an army of snails I found comfort that I am not alone, even though I am thousands of miles alway in Southern California. This wet winter we have had has caused an insane amount of snails to devour everything I am trying to plant this spring. I have tested copper wire - to witness them crossing it without so much as flinch. Coffee grounds work, but in my experience only for a night or two, then I guess it looses it's strength. I too have put them in our green waste recycling bin and I am sure they laugh as they watch me try to figure out how they escape the covered bin. Wonderous little creatures, but if I loose anything else I may find myself with an evil look on my face and a container of salt in my hand!! The English gardening mags are wonderful, so much better than anything here in the US, you are all very fortunate to have them.
  • When we were youngsters my brother and i used to collect snails, make a line each across the road(not a very busy road at all) and wait for a vehicle to come along, the one with the most squashed snails in their line was the winner. we could never find enough snails to keep our game going for more than an hour or so.I think snails along with the traffic have multiplied to plague proportions
  • For the second year in a row, my newly emerging beetroot seedlings are all disappearing. Is this slug damage or some other pest? Has anyone else had this problem?
  • We start them off in toilet roll inners, in the greenhouse and then plant them out leaving them in the roll inners.