Making your own hoops for netting

Hello there,

can anyone tell me what they use to make their own hoops for supporting protective netting and fleece? I bought some "official" hoops from an online shop. These were lengths of flexible plastic. I then thought that surely I can make my own for less cost and also avoid postage. Any ideas?  Thanks in advance image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 42,734

I've not done it - but would a fairly stiff hosepipe and some bamboo canes do the trick?

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in - Greek proverb 
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,027

ON a recent allotment tour I saw what look like blue plastic water pipe being used. The sort we used to run a water supply to the GH, about an inch in diameter (ish)

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,027

I should think what I saw would have had canes inside the ends, pinning it down

• Thanks. I've seen similar on our allotment nutcutletimage .

• If you ever see any hoola hoops in charity shops or on car boots, you can use those. Just cut them in half. You know, the ones that you used to try and keep round your waist with a good wiggle!?! And not the eating ones!

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 19,692

Tootles image

I think that's the usual way - the blue plastic pipe nut mentioned and canes or similar  pushed into the ground to fix it. 

• lol! Darn, I love hula hoops image thanks for your suggestions. After finding out about the tubing I also found this video on how to make a portable netting cloche which I think might be helpful to others:

• 10mm galv rod, old curtain rails from the upholsterer's skip, PVC trunking lid, deprickled bramble canes. 25mm alkathene pipe would do but they are bulkier to store.

I don't use netting though, it stops the birds getting in.

• Thanks, Frank. Lots of helpful info everyone! Thanks. image Yes, I tend not to net but my brassicas are riddled with white fly so want to protect young plants without chemicals. image 

• I love the hula hoop idea, too Tootles. I thought of your idea today when I saw Mr Bloom (kids tv) and noticed that his garden had colourful hoola hoops cut in half!