Forum home Plants

miniature trees

BELBEL Posts: 49

Has anyone ever grown the very small flowering cherry trees (up to 9' in 10 yrs)?  Or for that matter any spring flowering miniature trees.

I am considering trying one in large pot and wonder if any of you have given one a go and how it went.  Thanks

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

Are you trying to bonsai them?  If you do put trees in pots they will be relying on you for everything - water, food and protection from harsh winter and heat in summer so I'm not sure if it would work very well.  I have a very tiny apple tree in a pot grown from a pip many years ago, but it has never flowered - it still looks nice in leaf though.

Someone else will be along soon I expect to give advice.

• SwissSueSwissSue Posts: 1,447

Hi BEL, I have a dwarf apricot tree in a pot 50cm wide and 60cm deep. It is now about 5' tall and flowered profusely this spring, but although I hand pollinated, it only had a handfull of fruit. However I've only had it 2 years so am hoping for more success next year. I fed it tomato fertilizer before it flowered and again last month. For winter I wrap the pot with coir matting and stuff straw down between the matting and the pot.

• BELBEL Posts: 49

Thank you both.. So not want to grow a bonsai!   Good to hear you have kept the apricot going, as I want to grow a smaller tree for the blossom as I do not have the room for a full size tree.  Think I will give it a try.