Forum home Talkback

Chlorotic skimmia and peris

Hello there, I've just been reading up on why my leaves of peris and skimmia are yellowing and dropping, however, it can be due to over watering, under watering, too little acid ..... Could anyone advise how can cure or treat my shrubs please? The skimmia is in a pot and has free draining soil, which I do water almost every day, so could be overwatering, the peris is in the ground well fed, mulch with FYM and not watered. I intend to cut the peris back quite hard this winter but am at a loss as to why they're yellowing. Hope someone can help me out image

• ElusiveElusive Posts: 992

I would say watering a Skimmia everyday is the cause of the yellowing/dropping.

Your Pieris may be planted in ground that is too alkaline, this could be remedied with a good mulch of ericacous compost/pine bark.

Using tap water is bad for these plants too, rainwater is best.

• Ah, yes always tap water - must buy a water butt ! I put a top layer of ericacous soil on, will dig in a lot more over winter then. Thanks Mattbeer, love the name, am flora vino just now image . So scared of things drying out, so water daily n still plants tell you off - too much , argh can't win lol 

• ElusiveElusive Posts: 992

We are probably all guilty of over watering :P

The only things I water daily in mid summer are hanging baskets, with the other containers I do a weight check.

If the pot is light then it needs some water image

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,198

I'd agree with Verdun. Skimmias aren't very well suited to pots and  don't appreciate too much sun. Like many plants though, they'll cope with it better if the conditions they're groiwng in are right. Pieris are the same. They'll take a surprising amount of sun if they have their feet in the right soil. Not too dry is best, especially if you don't get a lot of rain regularly. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• oops, all wrong on the skimmia front then, it gets about 5 hours sun daily (when it shines, of course) watered almost daily. It's very free draining though. Will give watering a rest and get the Epsom salts going on both And will plant on into the garden soil over winter methinks ! Thanks for you help x 

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,076

Epsom salts only treat magnesium deficiency which is one of the causes of chlorotic leaves.    Sequestered or chelated iron products will rectify the anaemia that also causes chlorotic leaves but, as stated above by others, you need rain wtare as well as the correct soil in bordres or the correct compost and a large enough contaniner if you must grow in pots as well as the right aspect and exposure to sun or drying winds or these plants will suffer.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,076

Foranyone wondering, mix 15ml of Epsom salts in 5 litres of water and sprinkle generously over the foliage using a fine rose on your watering can.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw