Jay

We've got a young Jay who's taken a fancy to the seed pods of Fuchsias. Quite amusing watching it trying to balance on the bendy shoots trying to snatch the pods.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 44,428

Photos? image

In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt ... Margaret Atwood
  • Ooh yes photos please .... Very lucky to see jays, such shy creatures, never usually see outside woodland image

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 24,407

They're very clever birds. I like to watch them with fat balls in  string bags.

I like my fat balls in the feeders for preference but the jays manage better with the bags, hooking them up onto a branch and demolishing themimage

• That's a definite try for me now , hope I see some! Had a pair last spring (2013) wondering my garden, never been back ....  Would love to see again 

• Gosh, I've never seen anything eating the fuchsia seed pods. Wonderful.

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,020

Gorgeous birds,highly secretive which is a shame with them being so handsome image

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 24,407

I like the way they bounce when hopping round the gardenimage

• Sorry, no photos. It arrives at random times and doesn't stay long enough. We have an oakwood 20m away and we have Jays all the time. They're also very fond of the Golden Hornet crab apples in next door's garden. They last them well into the winter.

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Todmorden, West YorksPosts: 4,077

Lovely birds - and apparently very important in regenerating oak woodland, because they collect acorns & bury them a distance away from the parent tree as a winter food store.  The ones they don't eat often germinate, growing in open ground, whereas acorns germinating under the tree don't get enough light, and die.  Clever, eh?   image

"Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change"    Stephen Hawking
  • Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,020

Brilliant isn't it Liriodendron. Makes you wonder if there's some divine plan behind it image