Forum home Talkback

Any wine makers out there?

artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

This year I have made Gooseberry, Damson and Pear wine. I am NOT a very knowledgable or experienced wine maker, so any advice is welcome. The Gooseberry is looking quite clear, the Damson is gently bubbling away, but the Pear is going mad; luckily I have the very big 'demi-john ' standing on a large gravel tray as it has been bubbling out of the top for the last 3 days!

I find the problem with wine recipes is that they give you the outline, but not the specific measurements (like how much yeast and yeast nutrient EXACTLY)image

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,556

I don't think you need exactly for wine artjak.

Gooseberry was one of our best, a natural secondary fermentation. Lovely.

I  used a large brewing bucket for the initial wild fermentations then airlocked when they had calmed down a bit

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Nut, the Gooseberry didn't go mad, so that is a bit worrying, but I made it in early July I thinkimage. But it never bubbled much. I won't bottle it yet in case there is that 2nd fermentation. I've racked it once from the big demi-john into 1 gallon ones, to make room for the Pear in the big demi-john.

It is the Pear that is worrying me; all those bubbles coming out of the airlockimage and liquid pooling on the gravel tray beneath.

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 10,206

Remember as a child when my Dad's crab apple wine all shot its corks the same night - we thought someone was downstairs with a shotgunimage

The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page  - St Augustine

chickyimage Many years ago I had a boyfriend who made beer and his bottles did the same; we were ankle deep in beer the next morningimage

Bottle the gg artjak when it stops sending bubbles through the airlock. The secondary fermentation is just a nice little fizz on the tongue when you drink it.

All wine doesn't go mad initially. Just a good mess when it does.

Thank you for that Nutimage

I can check it for you when it's ready artjakimage

You are soooo kindimage

• I've got plum wine on the go and I've just done a blackberry one

My plum wine spent a week in the bucket and then into the demijohn, where it's been for 10 days and is still bubbling, roughly every 30 seconds there's another bubble popping up into the airlock. I don't know if that's a good thing or not

its a beautiful colour though image 

Fruitcake, my friends laugh, but I have made little 'jackets' for the red wines in their demi-johns out of black-out curtain lining so that the sun doesn't bleach the wine, which apparently affects the flavour.image