New driveway=new bed :-)

Hi Everyone, I'm getting quotes for a new driveway and would like to create a new bed under the lounge bay window but not wishing the workmen to 'do their thing' and then I hate it, I'd like to be specific - I just don't know what that is yet!

The drive will be extended to the left and be in line with the left of the front door, then curve left to allow for a long trough where the three pots are now.  I think...the curb stones should end level where the blue pot is and meet the house at a 90 degree angle, do you agree?

I then want a bed under the window where the slabs are.  (Pse ignore the shabby pots which are only there because I slipped a disk and can't lift them).  I'm wondering how deep the bed should be.  I could bring it out to where the wired box is on the side of the house, just a little more than the end of the slabs or should I bring it right out to the level of the house? I'd need to be able to wash windows.....or is that a good excuse not to ?image

The house is a 70s style and not the prettiest so I am planning to go quite contemporary with planting to step it up a little.  I'm thinking of a white and green planting scheme but again, am quite open minded at this stage.

On the right hand side of the drive I will have five small openings into the ground which will be filled with low growing lemon thyme which can stand being driven over, will smell nice and will provide a boundary for my neighbour.  I also don't know if there are any rules (or guidance) regarding which way block paving should be laid for the best result???

I've drawn a very rough plan - not to scale - to give you an idea.  I'd also be grateful for suggestions on what type of curb stones to use and why; I will want to keep the lawn edges pristine image  I don't know if you can expand this plan to be able to read it? I might have to try again....

If there are any ideas I haven't thought and you think it might work, please say - you will not offend me.

Thank you so much if anyone takes the time to answer image (does anyone else think there are too many negative smilies and not enough happy ones ? ....random thought, as I do, lol)

• DimWitDimWit Posts: 553

How deep do you want the bed to be? Less than 32" is very limiting, not to say

frustrating. You can always wash your windows with a hose and a squeegee

(that´s what I do!) and have something bigger to work with. A straight edge is also

a bit too arid, and won´t soften the lines of the house... A little slant can do wonders,

as well as something to create height, like a trellis (narrow as it may be doomed to

be), or posts for baskets.

Unfortunately I can´t read your definitions well for the remaining plans.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 23,990

Hi kj - quite a lot to take in but my first thought would be - don't make it fussy and bitty. I'd make the front of the 'window bed' in line with the driveway, otherwise you'll have an odd little 'jink' of grass there. In other words- where the paving ends at the blue pot, continue the line across to the far end of the bay window, and doubling the depth of the existing space there.  Clean lines and simple shapes are best for a contemporary look. If you're worried about access to the windows, you could leave the paving slabs there and plant in front of them, or do it the other way round - take your driveway paving across that space and plant directly below the window where the slabs are just now. 

As far as your driveway paviours and edging are concerned, I think it's a question of personal taste. Probably best to discuss that with the suppliers. They'll be able to suggest patterns and colours to suit and usually there are edging kerb stones to match or contrast with the main paving. You may want to have a bit of contrast with the house bricks so that it's not a sea of orange! image

And somewhere on the hill
    Inside the past we hear the bells
    Catching only parts of thoughts
    And fragments of ourselves
    Till we begin
    Again

• Hydrangea and potentilla sound nice and I'll think about taking the edges off the bed but might look at planting to soften the edge.  I'll go for the bigger bed and worry about the windows later image.  Thanks.  

• TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

A little tip on the window cleaning is to pop in the soil a small 'foot sized' tile or broken bit of slab. That way you have somewhere to stand without trending on your lovely plants. 

What a great project. Please can we see photos when done?

• that's a top tip, thanks and will do on the 'after' - thank you