Forum home Talkback

Virginia Creeper

Hi

I have three small virginia creeper cuttings which I would like to grow up the side of my old not too pretty concrete sectional garage. Unfortunately the area surrounding the garage has been paved over so I'm wondering if they could be grown in a pot? Would this restrict their growth?

Any comments welcome

• Hi Philipa

Thanks for your reply. I have lots of things growing in pots in my paved over back garden ranging from bedding to a silver birch tree would you believe! I firmly believe in trying anything but just wondered if anybody out there had tried this method with the creeper. Thanks again.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,122

They really need to be in the ground Su image

Could you make a raised bed of some kind along the side of the garage to give them more sustenance? That may work sufficiently to get a bit of coverage and do the job. If not, it may be best to look at something more suitable. Ivies will grow well in pots without too much bother, especially the common one which will stay well behaved in a restricted space yet will grow to a good size. Many shrubs will give good coverage, grow well in containers and they'll give year round interest if you pick carefully. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thanks Fairygirl for your response. Unsurprisingly I do have ivy growing in a pot and an excellent job it's doing of covering the not too high concrete fence on the opposite side of the garden to the garage. The Virginia creeper would give me a change plus the lovely autumn colour just before it drops it's leaves.

Thank you Philipa. What sort of area did your viriginia creeper cover?

I grow lots in pots too philippa so I'm not disagreeing with you as such! I just always think if there's more maintenance involved than necessary it can be better to look for an alternative image

It's such a beautiful climber though. Do you find it gives a good enough display in a pot? We have it on the old building I work in. It's a joy in autumn. image

• Just please be careful not to let it touch the ground, if you want to keep it in a pot. Itis a wonderful plant, but a rampant bully too, i spend much of my time digging bits up! image

Wouldnt ever get rid of it tho image

It's good to know philippa. So many vigorous plants just don't perform so well if they don't have free range. image

I may have to consider it for here....image

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

You said the area round the garage had been paved over: with a continuous surface such as concrete or tarmac?  Or with paving slabs, one or two of which could be lifted to make planting bays?

• The surface is brick and paving slabs but I am reluctant to lift them because they are cemented in and would probably be damaged in the process rendering them unusable if the project failed. 

• Think I'll give the pot a go, Philippa. Fingers crossed and thanks for your feedback

• Thanks, Philippaimage