Forum home Plants

No excuse

hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,053

About 10 days ago I planted up a pot with lovely little violas and cyclamen. I was so pleased with it as it looked so pretty. Now I have no idea why this happened but I never watered it! And it has been fairly dry up here this past week. No excuse either as the pot was at my front door. Fair enough I have had a bit of a cold this week and feeling poorly but........ Noticed the pot yesterday - it is on its last legs! My fault! No excuses! What a waste of money!

Anyone else done similar so I won't feel so bad?

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 3,466

Not exactly like that hogweed, but similar 'what was I thinking?!' situations.

Lately I've been moving a lot of plants around, I dug up a solidago I only planted last winter with all its roots matted in to a pot shape that I clearly hadn't broken up - lucky I found that. I also dug up geums and a potentilla fruticosa recently that were being strangled by those green plastic collars the nurseries sometimes use - how? I always cut them offimage

I regularly dead head a good flower by mistake and the other day after cutting a fuchsia back that had bug damage I somehow overbalanced and snapped another piece off.

Re your plants - if you flood the pot do you think you can bring them back to life?

• LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,029

Yes Victoria - the deadheading of good flower buds by mistakee always makes me wince.  I've been guilty on many occassionsimage

Feel for you hogweed.  We always have the best of intentions and then 'things' get in the way. Hope you are feeling better nowimage

• Yes love, i do it ALL the time! I lost my spirit of freedom rose, one of my favorites, because i forgot to water it. I thi k we just try to do too much sometimes image
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,232

In the spring, I carefully staked a rosebay willowherb thinking that it was a phlox. image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,869

Oh yes, I'll do that tomorrow, if I rememberimage

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

With a very dry pot, put it in the sink/large bucket and submerge it for 1/2 an hour or so, then take it out and let it drain. You have nothing to lose and it works for me.image

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,053

Thank you everyone - I think the cyclamen have perked up a bit but the violas are gone!

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • Me too Verdun, i only had 3 pears on my new red williams which i was looking forward to trying-found em all on the floor a couple of days ago! image
  • chickychicky SurreyPosts: 10,299

I am working through my Beth pears now - definitely an Aug/sep crop this year.  Very small but delishimage