Forum home Plants

TOMATOES STILL GREEN

I have managed to grow some lovely tomatoes but they are still green, I have trimmed back all the excess foliage to give air to the fruit and to prevent mould.  I was reading that it is heat not sun that the tomatoes need.  Would it help to put on the paraffin heater as the greenhouse is extremely damp and would this speed up the process.

• NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,811

Green Chilli Chutney is amazing

You can place the greens next too a red one and in 3 - 4 days they will go red

Aint Nature amazing

Everyone is just trying to be Happy.....So lets help Them.
  • Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

It's the ethylene, you know image

• a few banana skins will work, the heater might work, but you'd have to dry everything out before it started turning the tomatoes (that might take a while and cost a fortune!)

you could start picking the tomatoes as they start changing from green and bring them into your house, the warmth should help them turn red

• I bring some of my greenish tomatoes inside and put them on my sunny kitchen window sill. They ripen up really well and taste just as good as left to ripen on the vine.

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,275

Nanette - I had a truss break a couple of weeks ago,all the toms were very green but I put them in a large paper bag with a banana and they have all ripened. And I'm a tomato novice. Yours will ripen too I'm sure image

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

Traditional wisdom is to lay down outdoor tomatoes on straw and cover with a cloche at this time of year.  Greenhouse plants are uprooted and hung upside down in the g/h.  In both cases they should ripen.  Tried the latter teachnique last year and it worked.

• And if you haven't already done so, pinch out any shoots that still have flowers or tiny green fruits, as they'll never ripen now.

• I have scoured my house, I have no paper bags, I have brown paper that I use to post things with and I have a small cardboard box, my tomatoes are still green not turning at all what can I do?