Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

cucumber numbers

How many cucumbers should I have growing on each vine? One of my plants must have 12+ fruit on it. Is this too many for one plant to cope with? In some cases there are 2 growing from the same stem. The variety is Bangkok.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

As long as the stems are well supported, and you water and feed it well, the answer is as many as it can produce!  I grow them along wires to which they are tied every 6 inches or so, so there is no danger of the weight of the fruit breaking the stem.  Make sure that you don't let any get too large (especially ones hidden at the back - it's surprisingly easy to miss them sometimes) as it may stop producing flowers if it thinks one of the cucumbers has ripened and produced seeds (what we harvest and eat is actually unripened fruit.)

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • diggingdorisdiggingdoris Posts: 513

I counted 20 on one plant last night, so I'll try to do as you suggest Bob to be on the safe side.Thank you