Forum home Garden design

Ugly structure in garden

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 36,137

Bob image

It'll probably need a sand down Peter just to get a good key for some paint - it looks a bit green and faded because of the aspect it's in. It could be very pretty with a bit of a tidy up. Nice to sit in with a morning coffee to plan your new plot  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• I think the summer house needs moving to the back of the decking and the trees cutting back. Wonder what's under that decking and why it's been built up so much.

It needs sanding and re painting or you could burn the decking and put down a patio with the summer house. If the structures sound.

Might be worth talking to next door as it's overlooking their gardens.
  • personally? I'd get rid - wood probably has all sorts of unseen probs. It's prob a bit dangerous. I had hideous decking outside my back door when I moved in and soon put my foot through it. It might be concealing something but my guess is previous owner fancied a nice sunny deck to sit on............and built that. You don't like it now, a lick of paint is unlikely to change that.

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,009

Depends on whether you want a short term plan or a long term plan. In the short term, a good clean with a power washer and a few coats of stain on decking , fence and summer house would do a lot to brighten it up. In the long term, you may want to investigate underneath it and get rid of the lot.

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • Some really good ideas here everyone. Thanks for your input image

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 36,137

Let us know how you get on once you move in Peter. Extra pix will be helpful for any queries you have and there'll be plenty of help and advice should you want or need it.

Hope you enjoy your garden and making it your own space  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Have you asked the vendors what is underneath; if there is a major gas or electricity subs station hiding there, I think you ought to be told. Then if it is just earth there, I would put the whole lot on freecycle.image

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

I'd fit a woodburning stoveimage

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

image Nut

• It has a stove image I asked the seller about it and she had it put together because there was a rockery underneath apparently. They did try and remove this rockery but it was just too much for them.