Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Apple tree rootstock

We would like to grow some apple trees in our garden. We would like three sweet ones. Anyone have any favourites?

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

Why is your post headed 'Rootstock?'  The rootstock governs the eventual height and spread of the tree.  Sweet apples can be on any of the rootstocks; as can cooking apples.

• I changed the question after I had written it and didn't think I could edit the title........anyway, I'm looking for heavy yield and sweet apples!

• daituomdaituom Posts: 83

You also need 3 in the same pollination group. I would suggest, James Grieve, Fiesta and the good old Cox`s Orange Pippin.image

• Thank you daituom, have not heard of the first two.

• daituomdaituom Posts: 83

They should be available at yout local garden centre.image

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

Cox is one of the most challenging apples.  Not really suitable unless you want to devote a great deal of care to it.  It is prone to every disease going.

Have a look at the Orange pippin site and look at the RHS site.  Take your time and ask advice of people locally.  Look out for Apple Days in the Autumn.

• Thank you both. I would like to get them in this year (plant in Novenber?) so still have plenty of time to educate myself!

• paull2paull2 Posts: 93

Why wait until November? I always considered that if you are planting a pot-grown tree with good rootball, then you can plant at almost any time of year providing you do it properly and keep it well watered during dry spells. Planting now will allow it three or four months growing time in warm soil to establish itself.

• Thank you Paull2, I thought November was the time to plant. Saying that, we have now decided to make the border along one side of the garden smaller so we can get an extra tree in image  that will take us a while as that part was still neglected and had to be sorted out. Two birds with one stone, or pip!!