Talkback: Swifts

I love the swifts as well Kate. I look for them every year in May and I so look forward to hearing first one screeching high in the sky, they always seem to arrive here in Bournemouth in the beginning of May and I always make a note in my diary and when they leave in August.

• They've had such a bad year, donutmrs. I really hope next year is better for them.

Kate
  • donutsmrsdonutsmrs Posts: 474
    I have done the swift count Kate, counted 40 swooping across the sky. They are just beautiful.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

Today they have been very active and noisy around our house where we have some nesting.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,281

There is a scream of swifts around my area, which appear when the sun begins setting.  I counted about 25 last night (well, 20-30;  It's not exactly an easy task considering the way they fly - every one of them fancying themselves as a 'top gun'!) image 

I might have a go at videoing them tonight.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,730

They're disappearing for the year around here in central Italy. On the early side, but they left early last year, too. Up till a couple of days ago you felt like you were taking your life in your hands out walking very early in the morning. They were swooping down almost to head height in some of the smaller piazzas.

• oldchippyoldchippy Posts: 244

I haven't seen any Swift's flying here in Ewell since Friday,They may have gone already,They didn't arrive until May this year, Is this the end of summer, We have just had a thunder strom with marble size hale stones.

• higgy50higgy50 Posts: 184
    Swallows have been my passion this year and I have spent several hours trying to photograph them but they are too fast!!

We have House Martins nesting next door and I often sit in the garden and just become mesmerised by their acrobatics like the swifts!

Higgy

http://higgysgardenproject.blogspot.co.uk/
  • Lupin2Lupin2 Posts: 17
    our hearts have lifted too at the sight of swifts over our house, to us they mean the coming of summer, balmy evenings and the sipping of a glass of wine on the patio. Later, at dusk, bats take over the whirling and swooping over the trees, quieter but just as lively!
  • we love swifts too, but we have a neighbour who blasts their beautiful nests off his house with a electric jet wash, he waits u til they are fully built then does this awful thing, how cruel can you be!!