New pond

LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,436

My OH's mate has made this pond all himself, the land lies at the bottom of a hill and was always boggy, He dug it all out, making banks and edges from the spoil, made an island in the middle for duck breeding, there is a life saving sign and floating ring.

The bottom is sold clay, its beautiful and in time I am sure it will be a great benefit to wildlife.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 2,670

Wow! It looks beautifulimage

What a nice thing to have done - it must have taken an immense amount of work. I'm sure it'll attract loads of wildlife.image

• When is a pond a lake? That is huge! I sooooo wish it was mineimage

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,436

Its lovely, so tranquil, its on his private land but locals do go to walk there.

He has put some plants in there, water lillies and other plants. It will be stunning in another years time.

• Lyn, it looks awesome. I hope he adds some plants that would attract the wildlife that could call that marvelous place home. I truly wish him all the success he surely deserves for all that hard work. My faith in humans is nearly restored!image

My pond only 12ft x 6ft but love every inch, has given me so much pleasure for last 10 years since it was dug out of my patio area, but wow what a wonder yours is and so many wildlife wonders awaiting you Lyn.

• Daisy, I agree. A pond adds a whole new dimension to any garden. Your pond looks amazing. I can just imagine frogs climbing over the pebbles on their hunting trips and the dragonflies zigzagging around the plants. It looks perfect!

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,436

I cant take any credit for it, its work by a friend of my OH. There will soon be loads of plants in there, they will come naturally, its probably already got loads of frogs, newts toads etc, it was a big bog before, you couldnt walk on it. All the rain drains down from the hill and the water also rises. Maybe we will look next year and compere photo's

Daisy, yours look lovely, we are building one but its still a work in progress.

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,145

Bet the liner was expensive though? image

Lovely pics and yours Daisy. Your pond looks to be maturing nicely Lyn image

• The big question with garden ponds is whether or not to have fish!  as you can see from my photo I have had fish but have just re-homed them because I want to maintain a wildlife pond.  Iwas  sorry to see them go but we found a super large pond to take them with keen owner to add them to his own family of fish.

Before introducing fish 2 years ago my pond was alive with frog spawn followed by many tadpoles and then numerous froglets.  additionally we had many newts laying eggs on the pond plants.  All this was fascinating but when we added fish things changed.  We still had the frogs arriving and producing a great deal of spawn but the fish ate most of the tadpoles and newt eggs.  I had thought I could combine fish/wildlife but on the basis of my experience over 2 years decided I needed to protect my garden wildlife.

I hope this is useful for anyone creating a new pond.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 23,916

If you want both in a wildlife pond it has to be a big one image

If you can create a little barrier round the tadpole 'area'  that can be effective. I did that in a previous small pond using some decent sized rocks and it kept the spawn safe as the fish couldn't get in, but the tads could get out once they were big enough to stand a fighting chance image

And somewhere on the hill
    Inside the past we hear the bells
    Catching only parts of thoughts
    And fragments of ourselves
    Till we begin
    Again