Forum home Garden design

Designing an outdoor eating/living space

• What are your thoughts on decking. We were thinking it might be good, saves raising the level of the ground risking breaking the damp course.

Looking forward to your thoughts.
  • Hi!  some great ideas already, though from your photos I dont think there's enough space/rooom between the window in the house extension & its roof for one of those extending/pull-out roller blinds. 

Ref decking - (and at the risk of creating some comments to the contrary!) - I'd say "Don't do it".  It's one of those things which were made fashionable some years ago via those garden-makeover programmes, but it really doesn't work well in our climate.  It gets extremely slippery when wet, even if well looked-after & maintained, and I've heard several stories about people losing things like jewellery which - when accidentally dropped - fell down between the gaps.  It also provides a haven for some unwanted garden visitors (rats) so that's another reason to avoid it, in my opinion anyway!

• OMG did not think at all about that, so you would say lift the old flags and replace them. Good to know this will bear this in mind.

Thanks so much, this discussion is giving real food for thought.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 41,327

If I'm thinking of the same thing, the sails are a horizontal version of what you'd see on a yacht. If you can imagine a triangle of material, with one side fixed to the wall and the opposing point attached to a pole or other support - so that it's like a sunshade -that's the idea....if that makes sense. image

I personally like decking, but it's important to put it in the right place. It has to be a sunny site or it becomes slippy. If you're having the area covered of course, then it shouldn't be a problem. It's also quite easy to do yourself if you have a spirit level, and you're handy with a saw and a screwdriver!

art - I aim to please....image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Any suppliers for these you can think of.

Thanks again.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 41,327

I don't know of any suppliers but I expect if you google it, you might find something. Not sure what you'd call them though! image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Looked it up on Google & did not get very far. Will look again.

Many thanks.
  • artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Google 'Australian sails shade'image

• Hi Cloudyshadow, you seem to have a similar space to what I'm trying to redesign, although yours has less window coverage. Whatever you do, consider what roof design will have to cutting light into your house. I have thought about putting a large pergola in my space and filling full of vines/hops/climbers but then I considered what light I would lose inside our rear extension/kitchen so that idea has been shelved. 

I'm not as anti-deck as some others here, as we had our previous house decked for 7 years and a wash and coat of decking oil every other year and it was in great condition. Never had rodents, and it wasnt slippery BUT it was in sun most of the day. I have just built a deck in my new garden, not in the space we have just talked about but to the side of it due to the aspect being sunny most of the day. 

The sail idea is a good one as it provides shelter, and can be taken up and down when required. 

• Beaus MumBeaus Mum Posts: 3,541

Hi CC how are you getting on? Have you any update pics? I bet cloudy shadow would love to see image And meof course!  Ill see also if I can find your original thread and bump it for cloudy shadow image