Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

leylandii trees

Our handy friend has cut down 5 trees all out of hand at over 60ft in my neighbours garden. Is there any use for the wood there are tons of trunks along with the canopy which we are busy shredding through a small shredder. I understand we can't burn the wood on wood burning stove due to toxins in the sap. The canopy and small branches are shredded (or in the process) but been told this is too acidic to use as mulch. Are there any other suggestions please. 

• There is no problem with burning softwoods on a woodburner, I have done it for years. You just have to ensure you sweep your chimney regularly, as the resin will create more soot. Also be sure to split and season the wood properly.
  • Thank you, by season how long do you season for before burning please as we don't have a lot of room for storage.  If people just call to collect what advice would I give for seasoning. 

• We usually store wood for a year, so stuff cut this summer will be okay for next summer. If you split it now into smaller bits, it dries out quicker.
  • Thanks p&p will pass that on and keep some for myself. Which I was a sculptor some of the trunks would make super garden chairs. 

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    The only advice you need to give to anybody that you give wood to must sweep their chimney regularly. Softwoods are not as greatly admired for giving heat as hardwoods are, but if they are cheap enough or free, that's a different matter.

If you stack the wood correctly it will dry out well. Remember to cut the wood in lengths to suit your woodburner. You will save yourself so much work if the logs are the correct length.

If you don't intend to use the shreddings in the garden, what do you intend to do with them? Being acidic can be useful, round acid-loving plants, and for paths, perhaps.
  • Mark 499Mark 499 Posts: 380

I have a load of Leylandii that I cut down last year, I was told to season it for 2 years & then only burn a few bits now & then along with hardwood logs as the soot from the Leylandii will tar up the flue.

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    Good advice, Mark. Even well-seasoned hardwood will produce tar, though.