Forum home Fruit & veg

Sweet Peppers

Hi all I have had 8 lovely big sweet Peppers from my plant. It is starting to produce new flowers now.

What I'm wondering is that its now coming to September and I'm thinking is it best to discard the plant now?

Do you think these flowers will produce ripe fruit in my greenhouse before it gets too cold?

Matt image

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Matt, I would say no. If they pollinate there won't be time for fruit to grow. Please don't throw them until someone else replies.

I know people keep chilli plants going indoors and harvest later into the year and save the plant for next year but I don't know about doing that with peppers.

• ElusiveElusive Posts: 992

The plant is too big to bring indoors and the days are slowly getting shorter, I cant see any flowers producing fruit to be honest either :P

The plant only cost me 80p so its not a bad return!

• lydiaannlydiaann Posts: 288

So glad this question has come up.  I was given a red chili plant which has fruited very well but the first is only just turning - though quickly.  I use fresh chili, but not that often, so now I know that I can keep it inside in the colder weather (my greenhouse is unheated) I shall do that.