The blue 'Privacy settings' box in the bottom right corner is a new legal requirement under GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation). It can’t be dismissed or hidden as the idea is that it must be easy to access at all times should you wish to change your settings.

Wasp V's Caterpillar

Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 2,452

A wasp and caterpillar fell out the sky onto my waterbutt the other day, the caterpillar still alive and  twisting about. By the time I got my phone the caterpillar was mush:

The wasp flew off a few seconds later and while I was waiting for the watering can to fill I thought how wasteful it was not to eat the whole thing. Then it or another wasp turned up, gathered up a little ball of mush and flew unsteadily away with it, presumably to a nest.

I knew wasps predated on caterpillars - just never seen it beforeimage

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    What an awful but really interesting thing to see! image
  • Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,034

Nature at its most raw and powerful Victoria image Great pictures

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

As squeamish as I am that is really interesting...and much better than finding a dead mouse in a tub full of water image Was very sad this morning!! 

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,034

If its any comfort OL,I found a dead slug in the pond image

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

I found a GH  full of Dead slugs this morning.......I closed my eyes and swept them all up! I was toasting but wouldn't take my jumper off because if other creepies LOL!

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 2,452

Oh- I'd have been sad about the mouse tooimage

I found one in the pond once and felt awful as it is a wildlife pond with sloping pebble sides and thought how could this have happenedimage Eventually it occurred to me it was more likely one of my cats had killed it and had been flinging it about like they do and it just ended up in the pond. I don't know why that made me feel betterimage

Has anyone else seen wasps eating chicken? My OH has a tendency to leave dirty dishes wherever he wants (grrrr), there was a bit of chicken left, i watched a wasp take a piece, and keep coming back for a bit more, it happened again today with some stuff i chucked out for the stray image
  • LynLyn Posts: 9,463

They have a go at anything Bekkie, anything in the dustbin, I watched one eating greenfly on one of my plants so he can stay.

There are two huge brown slugs mating outside our door, I didnt have the heart kill them, let them have their funimage

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 
    Slugs and snails go at ot for ages dont they! Bless em, they do always seem very chilled out!image