Permanent Markers

I'm putting more perrenials in my garden but after winter when I start to inspect my 'plot' I find labels with faded marks and no Idea what the narby plant is. I've tried a number of different 'permanent markers' to no avail, can you help?  Sueing the makers of the product under the Trades Description Act will not help my situation!

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,023

I know exactly what you mean and have reverted to good old pencil which lasts for years.  A softer pencil lead is best to write on plastic labels - look for 2B (standard pencils are HB.)

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • kate1123kate1123 Posts: 2,815

I had a similar problem so I now have a notebook and I can at least try to match up the name with the plant

I also use a pencil now, I prefer a 4Bimage

• Gary HobsonGary Hobson Posts: 1,892

For the gadget-minded you can use a label-maker, and simply stick the plastic label onto a plant label.. I've been using these for about 18 months, and they seem to be weather resistant....

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab51/falcosubbuteo/foxglove-seeds1.jpg

OK, if you only want to produce a relatively small number of labels.

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

I too use a label-maker; Dymo.  But I do much smaller letters.  Uses far less tape.  Letters come out smaller if you do the printing on two lines.  This is a thrifty tip!

• BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

Never tried a label maker, keep asking Fr Christmas but so far I have obvioulsy not been good enough.  In the meantime, I agree very much with earlier posters, you cannot beat a good soft pencil on either wooden or plastic labels.   However, theat does not help when the blackbirds insist on removing labels and dropping them wherever they think they will!!

• SudsySudsy Posts: 2

I find the best thing to do is to type/or write all the labels I need, laminate them and then cut them to size. A laminater costs much the same as a label marker/Dymo and can be used for lots of other things - documents you wish to safe, recipe cards etc. etc.

• BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

Sudsy, doesn't water go between the layers of plastic and the label when you laminate & cut - or am I missing something here? (Quite probably!) 

• donutsmrsdonutsmrs Posts: 474

I always use a pencil, and for names on labels I want to keep I paint over the name of the plant with clear nail varnish, works a treat.image

• Alina WAlina W Posts: 1,445

Another label maker fan here. But, as already said, not blackbird-proof.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,023

Perhaps the blackbirds are trying to redesign our gardens for us?

That "cluck cluck" they do might not be warning of a predator, but really mean: "tut tut, you shouldn't have planted that there.." image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.