Forum home Tools and techniques

Recently Manured ?

How many months in the past does " recently "  mean ?

Or how long do you have to wait to plant ?

Nutrients......Is there a general based product to add every season

Everyone is just trying to be Happy.

• Mel MMel M Posts: 347

Hi NewBoy2. To what are you referring?image

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    Sorry to be crude, but if it still looks like poo, then its too early, if its gone crubly and dosent smell, it should be ok image
  • Newboy.......for a general based product Fish, Blood and Bone is good.....takes a few weeks to "work" for want of a better word but is a good all rounder.

What sort of manure are you referring to ?  Fresh manure or well rotted ?  Recently manured could mean anything from last week to a few months ago.image

I meant crumbly ! image

Fresh farmyard or stable manure needs to sit for 6 months before use so that the ammonia weakens. Use fresh manure and it will scorch the plant roots. A good general purpose soil improver is chicken manure (pellets.) Don't be tempted to overdo it though, it is quite strong.

Plants like beans, peas and potatoes should have manure or compost dug in during the previous autumn. Onions just before planting. Carrots do not like freshly manured ground - they will fork. Use general purpose granular feed.

• NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,590

Thanks Mel M and every one else

Everyone is just trying to be Happy.
  • artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Bekkie, I quite like that word you invented; 'crubly', it applies to several people I knowimage

• Just a thought but if anyone lives in a "Pigeon Loft" area, the droppings can make a good manure...........strong and needs to sit for quite some time but useful if you have the space and time.  Plus I imagine it would also be freeimage

A friend on our allotments sprays liquid pigeon manure on his plants. Swears by it. And by the size and number of Butternut squash he has produced it seems to work. 

Artjak image