Prunus incisa 'Kojo-no-mai' problems

Hi there,

Please help! My lovely prunus kojo-no-mai has dropped most of its leaves, and those that it does have left are brown and brittle on the tips. I know that it's a deciduous shrub but usually the leaves stick around until Autumn!!

It has had the odd caterpillar now and again (those that spin that annoying webbing and hide underneath) but I didn't notice any major damage in that respect. With it having been such a hot summer some of my other plants suffered a little, but none were ever starved of water. Could it possibly be overwatering?

My strawberries suffered terribly from spider mites, though thankfully it didn't seem to spread too far. I ended up purchasing a pesticide to combat the mites and will have sprayed the prunus once or twice. Not sure if that is at all relevant.. I wondered whether it may be particularly sensitive to chemical treatment?

Any help much appreciated!! image

• Tropical SamTropical Sam Posts: 1,493

Pull the stem - are the rootsfine? I am thinking vine weevil grubs.

• i bought one of these about 4 or 5 months ago and had the same problem. i underestimated how hot & dry it has been, and how little rain we've had (until the past week). some good regular watering has picked it up and it has put on new growth. i see yours is in a pot, I suspect it's been drying out.

• Lily PillyLily Pilly Central southern Scotland Posts: 3,846

Breathe in Just Jen......

i have been investigating the same symptoms with three if my Rhodies this year.

an expert at a garden I visited recently suggested it might be the dreaded Phytophthora (sudden ash disease) I am deeply worried. 

Have a look at  www.forestry.gov.uk/planthealth. Good luck

Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
    A A Milne
  • Ton MTon M Posts: 1

I'm having the same trouble with mine and think possibly something attacking the roots. A couple of other plants close by, clematis and honeysuckle are also not doing well. Can anyone suggest a pesticide for the roots that won't be a problem for bees, ladybirds etc.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,657

We've had an unusually dry winter and spring, and some high temperatures ..... I would try giving all three plants lots of water ........ two buckets full for each plant three times a week.  

There's no pesticides which can identify between those we consider goodies and baddies.  

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,228

Just Jen - I moved mine into the ground a few years ago and it has done well. However,  every year I get a few dead branches and cut them out.  

SW Scotland
  • debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 1,858

Have you tried nematodes? They are available for the dreaded vine weevils and of course don't attack any other insects 

• Hi there - how did this turn out? Having a very similar problem with my now very sad looking kojo-no-mai!
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,457
    I think this particular plant just does this at this time of year. Mine is also looking very scraggy with some dead leaves.  It is very probably lack of water as it's in a pot and tucked out of the way as they are quite boring plants for most of the year - my fault entirely. 
  • Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653
    Mine is a similar variety and does this most years, in the ground. Always recovers and flowers as per usual