Forum home Talkback

could someone ID this please

2»

• star gaze lilystar gaze lily Posts: 14,404

Thank you both. Live in West Sussex and have quite heavy soil too. Will try and take some cuttings and think about planting out. Many thanks image

• 4thPanda4thPanda Posts: 4,145

Thanks TB image Maybe I should have an open day! Hahahahaha image Not!

I am pleased with the way I'm going too image

• I didn't think it looked to have penstemon buds although the growth looks like penstemon.  It's a shame we couldn't see it in full flower.  I grow several of them and although they can be a bit tender in harsh winters here in West Yorkshire, high up on the Pennines, I shall merely protect mine with fleece or an upturned large plant pot if the weather gets tough. 

VJ -
    http://gardeners-word.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/bumblebees-love-penstemons.html

• star gaze lilystar gaze lily Posts: 14,404

Oooh upturned pot is a good idea  VJ, do you mean one with or without a hole in the bottom.........sorry if that sounds a daft question

• Not a daft question at all.  I'm trying to remember what I used to do because it is such a long, long, time since I grew tender plants (in a different garden, elsewhere) and my penstemons in my present garden were only planted this year.   

I would use the pots only as a temporary measure if the weather turns very cold.  Penstemons vary in temperature tolerance.  I shall treat mine as if they cannot tolerate being frozen.  While I keep my garden tidy to avoid slugs and disease, I do tend to allow any top growth to remain on tender plants as it acts like a protective mulch. 

I use terracotta pots when I can as they afford more insulation than plastic and are more likely to stay in position.  Also, terracotta pots tend to have only small holes in the centre which would allow some ventilation.  The hole can be blocked in severe weather simply by placing a rock on top (this would also keep plastic pots in place).  If you leave pots on in warm weather you might create a  problem with mould, pests, and other disease.

It's not an exact science, I'm afraid.  It's just something I once did to keep the chill off and my plants alive.