Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

could someone ID this please

Could somebody ID this plant for me please, I've mislaid the label. Its still in its pot and would like to know if it needs to be planted in sun or shade. I think it begins with P .....but i'm probably wrong lol. Many thanks.

• Penstemon perhaps?

Wearside, England.
  • star gaze lilystar gaze lily Posts: 17,658

Thank you Victoria Sponge will look it up. I know I will recognise it when I see the pic. So sorry about the other threads. Tablet playing up today 

• What colour are the buds star gaze lily? They look creamish on the photo - I haven't seen one that colour. The leaves, seed head and buds remind me of penstemon anyway...image

Wearside, England.

Thank you Victoria, think its that, mine is very pale pink. All pics are red or purple/blue! Many thanks

And it does begin with     P   image

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Penstemon definately.

Thank you Dave, I now need to find a nice gap to plant it in image

Looked on web on how to care for it and it suggests putting in a cold frame over winter and plant out in Spring. I don't have a cold frame, but have a potting shed could I put it in there instead?image

• 4thPanda4thPanda Posts: 4,145

Lily, mine live in the ground - plant it now and it will be fine image

• TopbirdTopbird Posts: 8,352

Penstemons are a bit on the tender side so if you are on heavy clay and / or you get harsh winters you might be better off protecting it over winter (shed should be ok - but not until much nearer the frosts start).

If, however, you're on lighter soil and / or the winter isn't usually too bad you could probably still get away with planting it now - my penstemons usually survive all but the harshest winters & the soil where I grow them is quite heavy.

Either way I'd take some cuttings now & keep them under cover for the winter. They strike really easily & hopefully you'll have loads of plants either for yourself or to swap / give away by next spring.

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 8,352

Hi Panda - you snuck in there - hope things good with you - love what you're doing with your garden image

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down