Forum home Talkback

Amelanchier

I have a five year old amelanchier in a huge container (which has rooted down into the soil below).  Every year it leafs up and blossoms well, with a good set of berries.  By late July, all the leaves start to shrivel and the berries go black.  The soil is always kept fed and well watered (without being soggy).  If the tree starts off the year well, why does it fail like this (regardless of what sort of summer it has been).  The condition looks rather like fireblight on pyracanthus.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,198

Hi Rosemary. When you say a huge container, just how big is it? Amelanchiers are usually fairly trouble free, but perhaps it's simply unhappy being in a container and is struggling with those conditions. Is it in an exposed, windy site where foliage is getting 'burned' ?

There may be another problem of course, like insect damage. Is there any chance you can post some pix? That will really help with further advice. Click on the tree icon in the toolbar and follow the instructions. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• I am having the same problem.  My tree is in it's second full year since planting - in a small garden.  I watered it the first year, but not so much this year and already it is looking dead and shrivelled - although it has buds for next year, so I don't think it is dying!!!  I hope not!