Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Not so sweet strawberries

We have grown strawberries for quite a few years but I have found that this year, although the crop is fairly good, the strawberries are quite tart. Could this be the lack of sun? They have never been like this before.

• BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

Indeed lack of sun, it takes warm sunlight to change the starches into sugars - all berries etc. will be sour this year due to poor light.  Mine haven't even thought about going red yet, never mind sweet.

• SFordSFord Posts: 224

My strawberries taste very watery - too much rain perhaps?  They are also rotting on the plant before I have a chance to ripen - boo!

• Thank you Bookertoo, I thought it may be the case.

• SFordSFord Posts: 224

Of course, I meant - THEY have a chance to ripen - not ME!!image

• KageeKagee Posts: 1

Yes SFord mine are the same, watery and rotting on the plants but have also had a problem with ants burrowing into them

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802
    Kagee wrote (see)

Yes SFord mine are the same, watery and rotting on the plants but have also had a problem with ants burrowing into them

Ants don't burrow into strawberries- something else has made a hole bird or slug probably- then ants, woodlice etc move in to clean up