Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

NO APPLES

JUST BACK FROM HOLIDAY, NO APPLES FORMING. BEFORE I WENT AWAY THE TREE WAS COVERED IN BLOSSOM, IS IT THE WEATHER OR LACK OF BEES ? NOTICED THAT THERE ARN'T ANY

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802

A bit of both-it looks like a poor year for growers and gardeners alike

http://www.freshplaza.com/news_detail.asp?id=97539

and a recent discussion

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/fruit-andamp-veg/no-apples/4344.html

• Big-FrankBig-Frank Posts: 3

MY APPLE TREE IS APROX 20 FT HIGH AND ABOUT 20 YEARS OLD AND IS JUST THE SAME AS PETER MARPLE NOT ONE APPLE HAS SET , 

• Last year I had abumper crop of apples but this year  Ihave not a single one.

• thanks for your replys been on the web seems that the UK has a shortage of bees because of the wet weather orchards all over the country are suffering with no apples, so my one tree is nothing

AS THERE ARE NO APPLES I WAS WONDERING IF NOW WOULD BE OK TO GIVE IT A GOOD PRUNING AS I SAID IT IS VERY BIG AND A BIT OUT OF CONTROL BUT I AM  NOT SURE IF I SOULD , I WOULD NOT WANT SPOIL ANY FRUIT FOR NEXT YEAR ,ANY ADVICE WOULD BE VERY WELCOME .. B/F

• NetherfieldNetherfield Posts: 120

No Apples or Pears this year on our trees.

No Plums either, plenty of flowers this year which became embryo plums, but seems the heavy rain knocked them off.

Last year about a thousand on five trees, this year I can see about twenty have survived so far.

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802
    Big-Frank wrote (see)

AS THERE ARE NO APPLES I WAS WONDERING IF NOW WOULD BE OK TO GIVE IT A GOOD PRUNING AS I SAID IT IS VERY BIG AND A BIT OUT OF CONTROL BUT I AM  NOT SURE IF I SOULD , I WOULD NOT WANT SPOIL ANY FRUIT FOR NEXT YEAR ,ANY ADVICE WOULD BE VERY WELCOME .. B/F

I would be inclined to leave any work till the autumn- when the leaves have dropped off

THANKS SOTONGEOFF FOR THE ADVICE image