Forum home Tools and techniques

Irrigation System

I have some used but good quality hosepipe.  Can you buy inserts to make a drip irrigation like the one's that Hoselock or other makes use.  I want to run this around the garden and water plants from it but be able to knock certain one's off when not needed.

David

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 6,448

I have the hoselock system along part of my garden and also have the thin irrigation system that waters all my patio pots.  I have got switches on the pot system that reduces the flow but not sure how you would be able to switch sections off.  Perhas someone else on here knows more about it.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • steephillsteephill Posts: 2,065

Gardena have adjustable drippers but like Hozelock these are designed to be used on microbore tubing. This usually taps into 13mm thin wall tubing which forms the main circuit. Both makes sell complete kits in a box which is usually good value. With winter coming check garden centres etc. for bargains as they get rid of summer stuff like this. 

• TopbirdTopbird Posts: 6,359

Hi David. The walls of decent hosepipe are often reinforced and would, I think, be too tough to puncture neatly at the point where you insert the micro bore tubing (which then connects onto the drippers). You can get droppers which insert directly into the supply hose but these also rely on a tidy insert hole.

A ragged hole in the hosepipe would almost certainly leak - which would both waste water and reduce flow to the droppers. I, therefore, don't think your idea to recycle the old hosepipe would work very well - better to use the 13mm hose sold by Hozelock or Gardena. You can buy mini taps which you set into either the 13mm tubing to shut off a whole section of your irrigation system and I think you can also get mini, mini ones for the micro bore tubing so you can turn off individual bits of the micro tubing. 

If you are going to go down the irrigation route it really is worth spending some time planning exactly how you want it to work so you get all the bits you need. You can change it once it's set up but it's easier to get it right from the start.

If you're going to go down the timer route I would also advise spending a bit more for one that gives you really flexible watering patterns. The cheapest will give you (say) 15 mins every day which is fine for containers. But I found that for irrigating beds and borders I was better off having the system running for longer (say 45 mins) but only every 3 days. 

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • Thanks everybody for you input.  I can see that the hosepipe may not be the best idea and thank you Topbird for that.

Could I set up a system so that I could attach a hosepipe to one area of the garden for a while and then move on to another area?

David

• TopbirdTopbird Posts: 6,359
    I'm not entirely sure I fully understand what you mean David but if you are thinking about 2 separate, permanently installed systems that you can operate at different times - then you should be able to do that.

At the 'tap' end of the supply hose you have a valve which stops the risk of water from the irrigation system being drawn back into the mains water supply. I think it also helps to regulate the mains water flow so it doesn't 'blow' your irrigation system.

You would normally attach this valve to your outdoor tap but I can't see why you couldn't have 2 valves - one each on the 'tap' end of each irrigation system - and then use a regular hosepipe to attach to the valve to 'transport' the water to the system when you want to use the system (its just a regular hozelok type connection). You can swap the hosepipe between systems as required.

The advantage of this is that you can have the irrigation systems set up some distance from the tap and you're using regular hose to bring the water to each system instead of relying on long lengths of permanently installed 13mm supply hose running from tap to system.

One thing I would advise is that you find a way to keep the regulating valves off the ground & cover them when not in use. Any muck in the system will soon block it.
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down