Forum home Fruit & veg

Major pruning of fig tree.

I have a Brown Turkey Fig and it produces lots of really nice figs but the tree is really getting big and out of hand at nearly 15 ft high in parts! It's obstructing the rest of my garden making it dark and shady.

I really like the tree and enjoy the figs but it needs some major pruning. At least down to 6 ft tall.

How do I prune the tree and what's the best time of year to Prune? I don't want to end up with lots of foliage and no fruits next summer. Thanks

• ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,730

Prune when dormant, Mountainranger. This article gives a very good guide.

• Thanks that's quite useful, I'll try it in November image

• catBcatB Posts: 2

hi   fig tree has fruited so well given I live near Preston, Lancs but now invading too much next door and also my garden. hundreds tiny fruits that dropped off naturally last Spring. Leaves yellowing now. Frost here last night. Needs pruning, but unsure right time now. could you advise please. Thanks 

• Alan4711Alan4711 LincolnshirePosts: 1,575

Hi CatB have a look at this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB0D_tuKgtQ 

you might find this very interesting as well  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB0D_tuKgtQ  

• catBcatB Posts: 2

Alan4711

Havent looked at the sites you recommend yet, but thanks so much!!  picked my last fruit yesterday and planted out six cuttings i took a year ago. hesian wrapped and two stolen overnight!!!   Just joined the site and am looking forward to advice from fellow gardeners.  just about to undergo some brain surgery, but certain i shall have many more questions over the winter to keep my mind occupied til i can get in garden again in spring...Do really appreciate your reply so, again, thanks a lot. gardener in today, so shall take a look now!!!  regards 

Hi Cat, i found the chap who explained how to start the Figs off and did all the pruning,very interesting and it  was explained very well even I got it,im really looking forward to seeing the fig naked so i can plan the future height and width,i really need to bring it down to an easier height to crop and prune, i found out this year im allergict to Fig sap so gloves it is.,I also had a hearing test last week and now im having a brain MRI  due to the results ,never rains but it wotsits ,so your not on your own,  Right good luck with the Figs,and the fig steeler,and the Opimageimageall this sunshine