Forum home Talkback

dahlias dahling

when they are good they are very very good                                                                              but when they are bad they are horridimage

• MrsGardenMrsGarden Posts: 3,951

The peach one is on it's own , all the other red/white ones are from the same plant!

Never grown dahlias before this year, here are my first attempts at the little dahlings!

• Mark 499Mark 499 Posts: 380

• CharlieBotCharlieBot Posts: 208

• ElusiveElusive Posts: 992

Beautiful Dahlias but I wont grow them, useless for insects. Have lots of single flowered ones  though image

• D0rdogne_DamselD0rdogne_Damsel Saint Yrieix La Perche, Haute Vienne/Dordogne border. FrancePosts: 3,801

I am so pleased with mine, they were one of the 1st things I planted in my new garden in some vain hope of gaining the upper hand - very pleased with the result - but don't take your eyes off them and see the remaining wilderness! Definitely will try more next year. 

"To nurture a garden is to feed not just the body, but the soul." — Alfred Austin
  • CharlieBotCharlieBot Posts: 208

Love mine, one of my favourites. Mistake I made was not labelling them so placement is random! Cuttings were successful so I'll do that again, not that I have room for many more. Next year I'll try and match them to the surrounding plants better.

• D0rdogne_DamselD0rdogne_Damsel Saint Yrieix La Perche, Haute Vienne/Dordogne border. FrancePosts: 3,801

Good Point. Must try harder image

"To nurture a garden is to feed not just the body, but the soul." — Alfred Austin
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,337

All of these are large plants with saucer-sized blooms and were grown from seed sown earlier this year:

The one above from behind - I actually prefer it from this angle:

My favourite this year:

This is my second favourite:

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • MrsGardenMrsGarden Posts: 3,951
    Love all these photos!