Forum home Plants

weedy ID's please

SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

..I might be taking over an allotment and I found these today growing... any idea what they are please?   the first ones look as though they form a distinct patch, as if planted deliberately, although that may not be the case...

second is a little yellow flowered plant... I see that here and there on the plot..

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,852

Hi Salino

At that stage of growth and still upright, the umbellifer is likely to be hogweed, Heracleum sphondylium. the yellow one is a lysimachia, yellow loosestrife

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

..thank you nut, I think I shall be getting rid of them although I see they are edible, as long as they're not the Giant version... I wonder if a previous tenant was growing them to eat..

..I should have known that Lysimachia...  thanks again...

The hogweed is easy to get rid of in cultivated soil but a right b....... in the meadow where it was running riot when we got here

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,036

That yellow loosestrife can be a right b**** too Salino!  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• The first picture could be carrots gone to seed, I know they produce an umbelliferous flower if left, and if they are planted in a row, it could be that!

a bit tall and the wrong shape at the top I think potsandpansies

• Maybe parsnips? They are umbelliferous too and a bit taller too.

easy enough to tell, carrots and parsnips are biennials, they're over and will pull up at that stage. B........ hogweed won'timage

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

..thanks for input everybody... I shall try pull one up and see... quite interesting seeing all these weeds running riot... fortunately, I see only a little bindweed and absolutely no horse tail...which is a relief... only a bit of rosebay willowherb but lots of yellow-y things...  some ornamental onions I'd like to save.... but I have to see if they give me this plot... not certain as yet...  it can't have been in use for years... there is a lovely wooden pergola in the background which is still in excellent condition....  I want my tea and Victoria sponge under that...!..lol...

• The user and all related content has been deleted.