Forum home Tools and techniques

Autumn lawn maintenance visit

hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,025

I have 2 smallish pieces of lawn, say 25ft by 25 feet each. I put weed and feed down on one of them in the spring, then scarified it. Not too well as I still have some black patches. In fact the lawn has not looked all that great this year. The lawn with no weed and feed on it has looked ok. I was thinking of getting someone in to do an autumn maintenance program - scarify, possibly reseed patches, possibly aerate and lawn sand etc. I would get both lawns treated.

Has anyone had that done and has it helped the general health of the lawn?

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller

• TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

Hi Hogweed. My folks have a thin arch of grass in their front garden (about 5ft wide and 20ft long). They have just signed up for Green Thumb to come and treat it as no matter what they feed it or how they treat it, it always looks patchy and weak. I think something is effecting it from under the ground.  I was surprised at the price for such a small piece of lawn ( think it's £25 per visit) which I think is a bit much bearing in mind how much weed n feed you could buy for that price, but I guess the results will show if it's worth it as the shop bought solutions just haven't worked. Hope you manage to get yours sorted.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

I haven't got any lawns either but I've got a lot of grass and some fine wild flowers in itimage

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,025

I just wonder if it is money well spent. My grass does look ugly.................I feel it could do with a boost and some TLC more than I could do for it.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,579

Tootles, does  that 25.00 include whatever feed they use as well?

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

My OH has always taken great pride in 'his' lawn and used weed and feed etc religiously every year and it has always looked lovely, so many people comment on how good it looks even though we have dogs.

This year though is different, and I'm not being horrible because he has said this himself, but it just doesn't look as good.  He has done exactly the same and there yet there is a big patch of dead grass on it.  He doesn't understand it and neither do I (but then that's to be expected LOL!) Even OH thought about getting Greenfingers in to sort it and I never thought that would happen. 

The conclusion is, maybe it's just been a rubbish year for lawns image (That's my non scientific newbie observation image)

On a plus side, the harder it is to look after the more chance I have of 'stealing' some for flower beds.....I'm currently working on a new fruit patch image

• TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

Hi Lyn, yep that includes all the product they use (a secret recipe we're told!) and the person coming to spread it.

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,025

The guy has just been to inspect my grass. He does not think it is beyond redemption but has cautioned me to wait until next spring before doing anything with it. Drats! I hate the sight of it.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,579

Thank you, may be money well spent then.

I am going around digging bits up here and there, flowers are nicer really than grass.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 6,454

I've just signed up for Green Thumb.  I thought I would give it a year and see how it improved.  I'm not looking for a bowling green just less moss and a neat looking lawn.  I plant lots and lots of wildlife friendly plants and provide lots of shelter but I do want the borders to be framed by a good quality lawn.  I have taken the basic package which is going to cost me £15.00 per visit, 4 visits per year.  I will have to scarify and aerate myself.  The costs includes all the fertilizer etc.  My front lawn is about 15 square metres and the back must be about 50 sq metres so I don't think this is bad value for money.  My first visit is scheduled for the middle of September, I'll let you know how things go.  Tootles I suspect that your father must have taken a higher level package.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • When I first moved into my new house at the beginning of this year I thought the lawns were a brilliant verdant green.  I realised all to quickly once I stood on them that they were moss.  First thing was to mow, remove clippings then scarify.  I then used an all purpose weed feed and moss killer.  Over the spring and early summer I mowed and removed the clippings and then started in August to use my mulching mower.  The moss has now nearly all gone but the lawn does now need to be aerated with a garden fork as I believe it's really compacted and it will have a top dressing this autumn.  I have two dogs and I'm not a lawn freak but even I can see the difference now.  You don't need to spend a fortune or get rid of the dogs to enjoy a nice lawn.