Garden design

Hi, I'm new to gardening. We are in the process of expanding and redesigning our garden.

We are having a patio area, on two sides of this is our house.

one side will have a brick bench with storage and a planting trough as backrest, arch (roses?) and brick bbq area.

the other side will have a decked area, but want a bush to divide, not sure what to have! what plants are best for screen. would like evergreen and colour.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 13,860

Photinia Red Robin, Eleagnus Gilt Edge, Choisya Ternata Sundance. Have a look on Google. All evergreen.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

What colour rose might you have over your arch? Perhaps a nice scented one. I've gone for a white scented combination with a Madam Alfred Carrier rose and a Duchess of Edinborough clematis growing up through it. 

There are some nice tall grasses that I've seen as screens. They make for a lovely texture, with some movement and change of colour. Plus a gentle rustling sound. Sorry I don't know the names but I'm sure other clever folk on here will, or ask at your local garden centre. Good luck with it!

• thank you Busy-Lizzie and Tooties.

Not sure on what roses to grow yet, looked at the garden centre and felt overwhelmed by the choice.

• like your choices for roses Tootles.

what do people think about blue eye roses?

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 13,860

I'd never heard of them, so had a look on Google, rather striking. But Van Meuwen sells them and some people on this forum have been disappointed with them, I don't know about their roses though. I like David Austin roses, smell good and fairly disease resistant. I have a Madame Alfred Carrière climber which I planted in 1992, repeat flowerer, lovely, but almost white. I thought you wanted colour.

Dordogne and Norfolk